Members of the Collective

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Introducing... #3

It's the time of year when we invite a few American artists to join us in our upload. This year we've added an element of surprise. Can you guess who our third guest vendor is?

I have been sewing since I was a small girl. I found this was a skill I could use to be able to work at home and be with my children. Waldorf dolls were one step in a long line of sewing businesses that I've had. I sold my dolls at our local Farmer's Market for years before I began selling them online. I also made other toys, clothes and quilts and home goods. While I have morphed though many incarnations of my business name, it came to be from a dream I had. I was standing on the porch of my shop and I could see the sign. This was 10 years ago.


My favourite part of having a shop is still just being able to make what I love and send it off. Being part of the handmade community is exactly where I imagined myself being when I was a child. I always knew I would be a maker. My least favourite part is the photography and shipping. That's work.  



My life consists mainly of crafting. On the rare occasions that I put that aside I can be found in my community. I live in a very small community. That one where everyone knows everyone. You can park once and do all your errands while also catching up with friends and neighbours. I am also a wife and mother. My children are grown and out on there own and my husband is a merchant mariner and away from home 10 months out of the year. So it is just me and Louie (Boston Terrier) at home full time.  


Morning motivates me. I am at my best in the early hours of the day. I feel like i can do anything and do it fast during this time. Also the treadmill at the gym. I get the best ideas there.


My favourite thing about the USA is .......oh I'm on the fence there. I have been here for almost 53 years and I can't tell you what my favourite thing is. When I was a child I used to say that I wanted to be a foreigner. My mom would reply that I WAS a foreigner to some people. I don't really have a favourite thing. I am happy to be here though. As for being an American, my father taught me that whether you live at the tip of South America or the top of Canada you are an American. I was an adult when I learned that the world saw only people in the US as Americans. That is pretty selfish of us if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment