Members of the Collective

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Introducing... #6

  • It's the time of year when we invite a few American artists to join us in our upload. This year we've added an element of surprise. Can you guess who our sixth guest vendor is?
  • I started crocheting about 10 years ago because I had a job where I had a lot of time on my hands. A few years later I taught myself to knit, and since then I've written patterns and knit up a storm. Last summer I tried dyeing yarn for fun, and I was impressed with how well it turned out. A friend of mine suggested I do it professionally, and I took the leap. This spring my sister and mom joined the team, and we are a family owned and operated yarn company.


  • It was easy picking a shop name, since we love being from Milwaukee. A little blue collar, but lots of color and fun.
    My least favorite thing about owning a shop is doing the taxes. Yuck! Its a lot more complicated than personal taxes.
    When I'm not crafting I spend time with my husband and 3 kids. Our oldest is autistic, so owning my own business enables me to set my own schedule and give the kids the attention they need.
    I also love to read, write, and my guilty pleasure is physics documentaries. I can't get enough of them!

  • One special thing that sets our product apart from the rest of the pack is that we find inspiration for our yarns in our everyday lives. Places we have travelled, people we have met, things our kids enjoy, etc. We have a motto that "it can never be too vibrant". I'd rather be known as the yarn company that embraces and plays with colors than plays it safe.


  • Personally, I'm inspired to support my family. Brew City Yarns has really taken off in the past year, and we've invested a lot of time and money into it. It'd be fabulous to have a return equal to the efforts we've put into the company!


  • My favorite thing about the U.S.A. is that we have such a wonderful tradition of free speech. No matter what you believe in, you can express your opinion on matters without fear.
  • My favorite thing about being an American is the wonderful opportunities that I've been given in life. I was raised in a military family, and spent my entire childhood on the road. It was so exciting to see different parts of the country and world. Its also been a huge influence on my work, the travelling that I was able to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment